2 Months Prior to Moving Day
- Get estimates from at least 2 moving companies if you are using
- If you are moving yourself, get truck rental costs from at
least 2 companies.
- Create a floor plan of your new house for furniture &
- Inventory of your household goods and start to remove clutter,
beginning with storage areas.
- Create a file of your moving paperwork.
- Arrange to transfer school records if necessary.
- Choose and book a mover or truck rental company.
- Prepare your new home - contact painters, carpenters etc. so
your home is ready.
- Change the locks on your new home.
Six Weeks Prior to Moving
- Fill out Post Office change of address cards.
- Make arrangements for storage if necessary.
- Ask your Doctor for referrals and obtain medical records if
- Have antiques, works of art and other valuables appraised.
- Clean closets and drawers.
- Start using foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be
Four Weeks Prior to Moving
- Schedule utilities disconnection at your home and connection at
your new home.
• Disconnect for the day you
• Connect for the day you arrive
• If you have deposits, request refund.
- Reserve mover or truck rental.
- If moving yourself, obtain moving materials and start packing
items you will not need until moved.
- Arrange for cleaning and repair of furniture, drapes, carpeting
- Arrange for special transportation of pets and plants if
- Check to ensure possessions are covered under your insurance
policy in transit.
- Make any travel plans necessary for your move.
- Plan your moving sale - yard sale, online auction etc.
- Collect important records - personal & family medical,
dental, veterinary, and school records, legal and financial documents, birth
certificates, passports and insurance documents.
Three Weeks Prior to Moving
- Properly dispose of items that cannot be moved such as
- Prepare auto registration for transfer if moving to/from
- If moving from a condominium/apartment arrange for use of
elevator on moving day.
- Hold your moving sale.
Two Weeks Prior to Moving
- Arrange disposal of items not sold and not being moved.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Notify creditors of your move.
- Transfer prescriptions and ensure you have an adequate supply
- Assemble file of information for new owner of home.
- Send change of address cards.
- Pack a travel kit.
One Day Prior to Moving
- Transfer bank accounts and close and empty safety deposit box
- Settle bills with local businesses.
- Drain power equipment of oil and gas. Drain water hoses.
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer, propping doors open.
- Let movers pack you belongings (unless moving yourself).
- Disconnect and prep major appliances to move.
- Set aside what you will be travelling with in your car.
- Pack a box of items that will be needed first in your new house
- mark it "LOAD LAST"
- Confirm arrival time of moving truck.
- If moving yourself dismantle beds and other large
- If using mover, ensure someone is at old house to answer
- Note all utility meter readings.
- Read your bill of lading and inventory carefully before
signing. Keep this in a safe accessible place.
- Check belongings carefully and note on inventory paperwork any
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.
- Be prepared to pay your mover with cash, certified cheque or
travellers cheques unless other arrangements have been made in advance.